- Many small and medium enterprises do not really understand how to work with the media to generate buzz and publicity. They often have a misconception that media publicity is exclusive to big companies having a huge budget to hire public relations specialists who provide strategic counsel.
- Media relation is both an art and a science. Knowing your basics and adding some creativity and flair will produce an effective pitch.
- Understanding what constitutes news and knowing what the media and press want will give your company a head start in gaining publicity. The press and media are powerful stake holders of your business. Having good publicity about your product and brand will always enhance public perception on their value.
- There are basically two types of news. Hard News which are primarily basic facts and figure and soft news is news of human interest. The press usually prefer news that are :
v. Sensational, and
vi. Socially impactful
- A Public relations practitioner once told me that if all else fail, there will always be three issues which are of interest to the media. They are MONEY, Sex and HEALTH.
- For example, there is little chance of interest for coverage if you announce to the press that your company is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year. However, if your company plans to donate 20 million dollar to charity to celebrate its 20th anniversary, it will be a big story!