Social media is a new wave of internet usage that links everyone in “many to many” conversation using different tools. The most populated sector is the social networking tools like Facebook and Linkedin. Human Resource Managers are beginning to leverage on the large network of professional social network for recruitment and referral.
In the near future, no resume is complete without your Linkedin account or Plaxo contact. These are networks which Professionals, Executives, Business Owners and Technical specialists (PMETs) deposit their resume and connections online. Social media is all about having the conversation over content provided by the respective communities. PMETs form a community on social network is a valuable source of suitable candidates.
Recruitment will reap bountifully from social media strategy in the following ways:
- Branding as a Choice Employer. Make it a standard practise to have all level of management on professional social network like Linkedin. Encourage senior managers to update their company and designation. Your company’s name will appear more frequently and this will benefit the company in terms of branding as a choice employer.
- Looking beyond the referral. Do not limit to the referral given in the resume. Research on the candidate’s connection and recommendation. You can authenticate their work experiences and character through the business friends they keep on professional social network.
- Status and Update. Most professional social networks keep a long history of a profile’s status update. Study the words he use to express how he feel, who he met, projects he has accomplished, etc . The frequency and content of his status speak volume of the candidate’s working attitude and thought leadership in the area of his expertise.
- Network is powerful. The extent of a candidate’s network is a result of his constant networking effort. If he claims to spend extensive time in China, does he has considerable contacts from the same country? If a Marketing communication Manager has good media relations, he would have at least a score of media and press connection to his profile. The quality of a candidate’s professional social network is clear evidence to his past work’s achievement.
- Advanced and Targeted Search. The speed and depth of search engine with the professional network is geared for matching the job requirement to the best candidate. Use keywords and limit your advanced search will filter out your potential candidate within seconds. Another point to note, while you are recruiting through advanced search, your competitors may also be filtering theirs. Some of their filters may include your current staff.
- Different tools for Different levels. True blue social network like Facebook may be the best tools for recruitment of entry to mid level executives. Facebook has 2.6 million users in Singapore alone, placing Facebook ad based on pay-per-click may be the most effective compared to the mass media or online job portals.
- Portfolio Showcase. If you are evaluating a consultant for hire, try research on his online contribution to blogs, wikis, presentations and proposal on portals like Slideshare and Scribd. Check out the number of view, downloads and embed his portfolio enjoy is a clear indication on his thought leadership.
- Business Socially. Many search firms are using professional social network to connect with other recruiters and hirers. If you are a head hunter, forming an alliance with your peers will reduce your time and effort looking for a candidate for your client. On another front, make connection with potential hirer and be on your list. You never know when they will contact you for their recruitment.
Lastly, Social Media is not a Strategy or tactics, it is just another channel you can utilise. If your company has a hiring page for position, spread the news via social media platforms like Facebook Fan page. Engaging potential candidate social before meeting up professionally is an emerging reality.Pin It